Monday, January 1, 2024

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2024!

I buy threads from Connecting Threads and a while back when they had some things on sale, I saw this puzzle at a reduced price.  I like making puzzles, so I ordered it, even though I prefer 500 piece puzzles and this one is 1000 pieces.  The name of it is "Kaffe Fassett's Fabulous Florals Quilt."  The design is actually a copy of a quilt made by him using his fabric patterns.  There are 72 different 9 piece floral designs.  Around each flower is a border consisting of 12 flowers.  These borders are not all different.  I started it right before Thanksgiving and by December 10 I was as far as the second picture.  I then decided that I would never have it finished by Christmas.  We have a small living room and I set up puzzles on a card table in the living room, so it takes up quite a bit of space.  I had to put it away so I could get my Christmas decorations put up and have some room for company on Christmas day.


This is how much I had accomplished by the time I put it away.  Maybe, some day when I don't have anything else to do I will set it up again.


On to more interesting matters.  I belong to the Willamette Valley Quilters that meets in Dayton, OR.  They had people that will register quilts that are "living" in Oregon, so I brought an antique quilt that belonged to my MIL.  It had been given to her mother (DH's grandmother) sometime around 1890.  I may have posted it on the blog before.  


This is a table runner that I made and I just love it.  I plan to make more of them for next year to either sell or give away.  The saw tooth star is my favorite and some day I want to make a large quilt with all saw tooth stars covering it.

I also belong to the Gone to Pieces Quilt Guild (that meets in McMinnville) and during 2023 we had a "Round Robin" program for those who wanted to join.  It was ended on time to finish the quilt and bring it to our December meeting.  This is my RR.  I did the square in the middle last January and other members of the guild added a border when they received the quilt at the next meeting.  Every participant added a border when the quilt rotated to them.  It is really amazing to see the finished products!  I quilted mine just in time to take to the meeting where we showed them

I walk with 2 neighbors in the mornings, monday through friday and on a recent foggy morning I took these pictures because I loved how the trees looked in the fog.  I just love the hugh trees that have grown in this area for centuries! I couldn't get the whole trees in the photos.


The area behind this tree goes down to a ravine and creek.  We've had a lot of rain lately, so the creek has been larger than usual.  A lot of deer live in this ravine and come up to visit us and eat our flowers from time to time.  We love to see them.



This picture was taken in between 2 houses around the bend from the other tree.  One of the houses was built by the people who lived in the other house because they wanted to be sure that the large trees were not cut down if someone bought the lot and decided to cut down the large trees when they had a house built.  These huge trees are over 100 years old and we live in the middle of McMinnville,

This piece of fabric was put on a table at my guild meeting along with other pieces of fabric that this member wanted to give away. I thought this was so cute and decided to make a small wall hanging for my dentist.  I hope it will turn out good and that they will like it.  I will post it when I get it made.


Thank you, dear readers, for visiting my blog!  I hope you have a wonderful 2024!
 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I love your round robin quilt - so many nice borders added by your guild-mates. Sadly, my guild folded, though we weren't doing much at the end anyways. But I do miss seeing some of the ladies. The puzzle looks like fun. I grew up doing puzzles with my mom and she is quite adept at it. That one looks like a good challenge! I'm looking forward to what you come up with for your dentist. I'm not sure I like mine enough to give him anything, even if I have good teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt projects! The Round Robin turned out great! I'm glad the old trees will be protected!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete