Sunday, February 9, 2020

A QUILT SHOW AND "GETTING THERE"

Last week I went to the Willamette Valley Quilting Festival in Albany, Oregon.  I didn't take very many pictures because my phone battery was very low.  My friend and I had a very good time!

This first quilt won the best of show award and is super beautiful!!


This next quilt is the just like the quilt that my Mom made for me as a wedding gift!  I was so surprised to see it.  My Mom loved to embroider and do cross stitching.  I picked out the pattern and she did all the cross stitching.  She had the ladies of Eastern Star hand quilt it.  It will be 58 years old in August and has survived a lot of wear and tear.


This quilt was made with all Australian fabric.


This was a simple wall hanging and I loved the fabric and quilting design on it.


Another section of the same quilt.


I just loved this zebra quilt!  Very striking!


Description from the Zebra quilt.


I had to take a picture of this quilt.  I hope you can read the various element descriptions.  Very creative!


I love this quilt.

And last, but not least, here is how my "barn" quilt is coming.  I am almost finished with the top!  I had planned to use a border fabric, but realized that I don't have enough of it, so I'm adding a scrappy row of fabric and then a wider border of the brown background fabric.


On Tuesday I had a gum transplant (called free gingival graft) in a section of my mouth and it is so painful because the dentist took a part of the roof of my mouth to sew onto the area where my gum was not growing back after the oral surgery I had.  This has been more painful than the actual surgery that I had before because the roof of the mouth is very sensitive and doesn't heal very fast.  It seems to hurt more now than it did a few days ago.  I can hardly eat anything so I'm mostly eating jello, milk toast, macaroni and cheese and small pieces of chicken.  I'm not starving, but it is frustrating.  Trying to keep the food on one side of the mouth isn't easy.  

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting quilt show. Love the periodic table made into a sewing machine. The name of the tiles are so funny and right. So clever! The embroidery quilt is exquisite. How did it took your mama to do yours, do you know? It's a masterpiece! Your barn quilt is lovely. You're almost done. Great job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are feeling better soon!
    Love your barn sampler!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing the quilt show pictures; I haven't gotten to go to a show since October. The Best of Show is fantastic! All the others are very pretty too. I'm sure you were probably shocked to see the one like the one your mother had made for you; shocked, but very pleased no doubt. By enlarging, I was able to read the quilting table; that was pretty neat. Your barn quilt is looking great too. I know you'll be glad to get that one finished. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry; I hit publish too soon on my previous comment! I certainly can imagine how your mouth must be hurting! Even the slightest injury to the roof of my mouth drives me crazy. I hope your mouth heals quickly and you can get out of that misery soon. I've never heard of such a tissue transplant as that. Ouch!! Heal quickly, my friend. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The barn quilt is awesome! It fits right in with the quilt show quilts! The zebra is very striking and I love the creativity with the quilting "elements." I hope your mouth starts to heal quickly soon! I burned the top of mine the other day (too impatient to wait for my dinner!), and that was painful...I can only imagine what you're dealing with. Maybe you need to add ice cream to that list? Any excuse to eat ice cream is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your poor mouth. I've had lots of dental work and root canals, but not gum surgery. I hope you feel better really soon. Must be hard to eat. Lots of sherbet?
    I love that Table of Elements quilt and your Barn Quilt Is so AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some incredible quilts from the show!
    I got a laugh out of the periodic table--very clever.
    Your barn quilt is looking awesome.
    Oh, so sorry about your gum graft--my daughter had one of those when she was in high school, and from what you describe here, I didn't give her enough sympathy. Hope you get feeling better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. I hope that your mouth will be less painful tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your mouth troubles. Hope it heals soon. Beautiful quilts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feel better. Beautiful quilts.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilts from the show. What a wonderful surprise to find the quilt like your wedding quilt! I love your barn quilt, it is beautiful! Hope your mouth is feeling much better and healing quickly!

    ReplyDelete