Tuesday, November 25, 2014

THREE FINISHED QUILTS AND A SNOWMAN

I finally got the binding sewn on my "Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's House we Go" quilt!  I hung it on the wall and should have taken a picture of it before doing that because it was kind of hard to get the right angle and lighting from where it hangs.  I think we used to sing that song around Thanksgiving time in grade school.

"Over the River and Through the Woods"
 Then I finished a Christmas rail fence quilt that will be donated.  I cheated and folded over the backing for the binding and then sewed it on top by machine.  It sure went a lot faster!



The backing fabric was given to me by a friend.


Another Christmas quilt that I will keep and this patchwork fabric was also given to me by the same friend.  All I did was back it with some flannel that I had on hand with no batting and I quilted it with straight lines on the diagonal.  I really like this fabric, which is already pieced together and sold by the yard.




My sister has a snowman like this and I had been wanting to make one from an old bed spread.


This is the program from the Houston International Quilt Show that I got when they sent my quilt back to me.  My quilt, A Civil War Remembered, is listed on page 39 under Texas Guild's Award-winning Traditional Quilts 2014.


Tomorrow will be a baking and cooking day and on Thanksgiving we will be going to DS#1/DIL's home for our Thanksgiving dinner.  Unfortunately, our DGD has to work on Thanksgiving, as the stores are all open now on Thanksgiving.  I liked it better when stores were closed.  :-)  And our DGS won't be coming home from college for Thanksgiving, but we'll see him at Christmas.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my quilting  and blogging friends!

10 comments:

  1. What a great post with so many pretty quilts! Yes, we sang the same song when we were kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun holiday theme! Love that first quilt so much! : )
    Have a great Thanksgiving--and I'm with you! Close those stores on Thanksgiving Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your works are so wonderful. I love the quilt with rework so much.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also sang that song for the holidays. All three quilts are perfect for the season! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that sweet snowman! What a great way to re-purpose the bedspread.
    Congrats on your recent finishes.
    Great Christmas quilts and nice Charity quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilts and the snowman.

    Especially love the "over the river" quilt. My mother used to sing that song and I've always sung it to my children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been one busy lady!!! I'm so impressed with all your "finishes". Every one of your quilts is beautiful and your snowman is adorable. Long ago my parents had a hob nail bedspread like your snowman. Wish it was still around for me to cut up!! (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt finishes. Over the River looks great hanging.
    I might have a hard time giving away the rail fence.
    Adorable snowman.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that first quilt! Have a happy day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those quilts are gorgeous! Years ago I had a bedspread like that; probably trashed it at some point. You made very good use of yours! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete