Tuesday, January 10, 2012

PROGRESS REPORT AND A WIN!

I have finished all of the union blocks for my Gone to Texas quilt and sewed them together.  This will give me about 10 1/2" extra width for the quilt top.  Next I need to work on the fill-in section that goes on the bottom of this section as well as the right panel which is mostly HSTs and squares.  It's coming along! 


I was the lucky winner of this kit from Taryn.  It is a kit of the Prairie Women's Sewing Circle (from Temecula Quilt Co.) and the name of the quilt is Prairie Huswyfe.  When finished, the quilt measures 27 3/4" x 27 3/4".  Thank you so much Taryn!  I will look forward to making this some time soon!


Right next to the RV park is a place that makes and sells yard statutes.  They also have quite a few junk cars and 30 goats, a donkey and a rooster.  We can hear the rooster crow and the donkey bray from our camper.  My DIL wanted to go there to find out if they sell goats (she is thinking about raising goats when they get a place of their own).  Here's Abigail with the billy goat (gruff?).  I would have taken a picture of the rooster, but he was an ugly thing.  He may have been in a fight with a fox (or other animal) that recently killed their other rooster and 4 chickens.

You can see some of the yard statutes in the background while Abigail beats on the "drum" statute.  I'm not sure what that is supposed to be, but Abigail said it was a drum, so we'll go with that.  Note:  Don't argue with a 3 year old.  Of course, it is made of cement.

My DIL and I plan to go to a thrift shop today that we had some good luck at last time we were here.  I just might make my way over to the quilt shop again.  I need to get some pink for the pink lemonade shoo-fly quilt.  Hope you have a quilty day!

13 comments:

  1. Your union blocks look great. I love the "drum" too, but my goodness what a mess that place looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are awesome!!
    What a fun win! Lucky lady you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "Gone to Texas" blocks. Congrats on the win of that kit--looks like a nice one.
    Well, the family farm I live on (DH's family) has the goats (though not 30 of them), rooster and two donkeys, but thankfully no junk cars, and no yard statues.
    You are wise not to argue with a 3 year old! If she says drum, I'd go with it, too!
    Hope you make it to the quilt shop. I plan to start Pink Lemonade today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your quilt is coming along. Amazine.I love that your sewing while on the road. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is truly amazing how color placement creates a new look when the pattern of the blocks is identical! Love your Gone to Texas! That's a nice bunch of reds too that you won! Do you think maybe the man making the statues has an addiction similar to that of quilters? "Just can't make enough or have too much cement!" *giggle* Looks like Abigail and the goat are having a stare-down! Have fun! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Gone To Texas blocks are great - I love the variety of colors in there. It sounds like a very interesting place where you're camping, but it looks like Abigail is finding it amusing! The kit you won is great - I'm sure we'll be seeing baskets from you in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the win - fabulous fabrics! Your Texas blocks look marvellous all together. ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is wonderful and I love seeing pictures of Abigail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks look wonderful together. Your color choices are just so perfect.
    At least Abigail's 'drum' probably did not make much noise. LOL You are right about 3 year olds. They will win an arguement if only by persistence.
    Looks like you are having fun. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are beautiful, and I really love the looks of that kid you won. That type of fabrics is pretty much my current favorite (my favorites change from time to time).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I meant to say also that I learned some time ago that arguing with granddaughters is pretty much a useless exercise. :-) She is an adorable little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you're probably sound asleep when i am reading this in Holland. Just found you by change, you sure make beautiful quilts, just love what i see. Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your Gone to Texas blocks! And how neat about your win. Looks like you are having fun visiting where you are. Abigail is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete