Wednesday, August 5, 2020

BIRTHDAY SHOPPING AT MY FAVORITE QUILT SHOP!

I love Kim Diehl's designs and have several of her books, but really haven't made many things from them yet.  However, I was recently browsing and came across this table topper in her "Simple Seasons" book and decided to finally make it (the name of it is "Liberty")!  This is a picture from the book.  I had originally been intimidated by the design, but having more experience with appliqué during the intervening years, it didn't look as daunting!  So, I decided to make it!  


When I went on my birthday shopping trip, finding some fabrics for this quilt was on my list.  The shop (Boersma's) is located about a mile from my house.  The local quilt shop (LQS) in McMinnville, OR gives their customers a 25% discount on regular priced items for their birthday, so last week I went there for my shopping trip.  I had 2 punch cards filled up which gave me a $25 credit for each card - in other words, $50 off my bill!  So here are the fabrics that I bought.

First, I bought 3 navy blue fabrics (which will be used for the eagles on the table topper).  I already have a good blue for one eagle and each eagle will be different.  The color didn't come out very good but they are all a nice navy.



I needed some reds and couldn't resist some Christmas fabric as well.


Actually, when I picked out the background fabric for "Liberty" I picked out the one below that is cream colored.  I didn't notice at first that the fabric is also by Kim Diehl!  And since the same fabric came in red also, I got some of that too.


I needed a couple light blues and a good Christmas background fabric.


And here's a couple more Christmas fabrics.  I got a great variety of fabrics!


For my birthday, we went out to eat with DS, DGS and DGD, then came to the house for cake.  I might as well tell you how old I am - 77!  How did that happen?


Then we played a game of Aggravation on the board that DH made!


Now everything  back to normal and I have started on my "Liberty" table topper.  




Hope you are all well.  Thanks for visiting!

18 comments:

  1. happy birthday...a very young looking 77 i'd say....lovely fabrics...i am a kim diehl fan too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy belated birthday!! Sounds like a good time was had, and your shopping expedition was a roaring success. Boersmas never fails to bring a smile and great memories of previous shopping trips! The cake looked fabulous, as do you in your birthday portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! That cake looks delicious and you are beautiful! You got quite a good stash of fabrics, too, and I look forward to seeing the new project come together. I have no doubt you will do a wonderful job with the applique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Ruth! Age is just a number. What a wonderful haul of fabrics made all the better for having those credits and a discount. Kim’s design is right up your alley and you’re making good progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chaching! You scored big on that fabric purchase. Every print is FABulous! Please, don't say that! You really, seriously, don't look like 77 at all. I hope to look as good as you when I am 67! Here's to many, many more returns. Love your new project. It would be one that I would do too. Cheers! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you made a haul on fabric; I hope the birthday discount covered all of it! All of the fabrics are beautiful, and I'm sure you'll find a place for all of them (some probably in your stash temporarily, right?). Now I know I'm five years older than you. I just wish I were in as good physical condition as you! By the way, I noticed your cake matched very well with the colors in the quilt blocks pictured next after the cake. Hope you had a really fun time with the family. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPPPPYYY BIRTHHHHHDDDAAAAYY! Hah, you are a little younger than I, and I'm still a spry young chick so you must also be a spry younger chick! LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Ruth! Age is just a number. You seem to have such a zest for life. Gorgeous fabrics (especially with all those discounts) and Kim Diehl's patterns are lovely. This will be a beautiful table topper based on what we can see so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday beautiful. Nice additions for the stash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful start with beautiful fabrics. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! (You're just a kid yet!) You looked quite elegant on your Day. Neat looking cake. I'll bet it was delicious.
    What a fun shopping trip. You snagged some great fabrics. You are making good progress on "Liberty." I love the interplay of the various reds and the background. Beautiful. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very happy birthday to you! What a grand day! You look absolutely fabulous! You will have a wonderful piece to remember your birthday in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! You don't look your age. I love Boersma's. Fun shop to visit. My niece lives and teaches in McMinnville, so I visit once a year. I like Kim Diehl too, just finished one of her little quilts in the Simple What Nots book. I'm sure your new project will turn out beautiful! Take Care, Marsha in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice birthday picture of you.
    I too have many Kim Diehl patterns but have not made much from the books. I have wanted to make the eagle quilt for a long time. I don't see having time for it in the near future but will enjoy your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! I celebrated mine a couple weeks ago with take out from a nice steak house in town. DH and I enjoyed a nice lunch and leftovers for dinner. Your new project is looking good. I love your fabrics. What fun shopping with "gifted" money. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't you love those kinds of shopping sprees?
    You are a very young 77, my dear! And your birthday cake looks sinfully good. :)
    Your hubby made a beautiful game board--beautiful wood.
    Hope you had a wonderful birthday. Sounds like you were treated very well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belated Happy Birthday. Sounds like your DH helped make your day special.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday! Love your start on your Liberty quilt. Kim Diehl is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete