Monday, June 15, 2020

A WIN! AND SOME PROGRESS

I won a QCR Mini ruler (Sew Kind of Wonderful) from Randy a couple weeks ago!  It's a curved ruler and there was a pattern for a table runner included, so I decided to use it right away and make up the pattern.  I picked out 2 batiks to start with and since I didn't have enough of that fabric, I  picked out 2 more.  It went together very easily and I have the top done!  It is different from my traditional block designs, but it's fun to try something new.  They have some other instructional videos on Youtube that I might try too.  There is at least one book.



This is the mini ruler.   I'm not sure how many patterns are available for this ruler.  I'll have to do some more exploring.  Thanks, Randy!!



Several years ago - at least 10 - I saw this fabric in my favorite quilt shop in Texas, where I was living at the time.  I made a few of these wall hangings; gave a couple away and sold one I think.
I had some of the fabric left over and had always planned to make one for me.  Finally, I came across the fabric and decided this was a good time to make it up.


I changed the design a little because my math skills have deteriorated a lot in the last 10 years.  This is what I came up with.    I have the perfect place to hang it when it is quilted and bound.



Last year, I participated in the scrappy string challenge that Lori held.  Since I didn't finish the spider quil then, I thought it was time to get it done.  I didn't want to make it too big, so it measures 5 feet square for a lap quilt.


Do you see the cat in the lower part of this picture?


I used fabrics that were in my stash and used 2 different fabrics separated by scrappy pieces of fabric for the border.


This challenge was, of course, supposed to be a way to use up (AKA - get rid of) some scraps.  It did use some scraps, but of course, didn't really make a dent in my scraps.  I think I need to start making more string quilts. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember when you were working with those Declaration panels; they were all beautiful and so are these. Somehow I can't get my brain into working with scraps that much; maybe someday. The main thing I want to know is what is the name of backing on your son's quilt in your header, and where did you get it? Send me an e-mail. Hope things are quiet all around you. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cool runner design!
    I think your HST border looks like it belongs there. That is a great panel!
    Great job on the string quilt! I do see the cat. Was it fussy-cut, or did it just happen? Are we ever surprised that our scrap projects just seem to create more scraps, rather than use them up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you find sewing the curved seams? The table runner looks terrific especially in those batik fabrics. Your wall hanging is very special indeed. Thanks for pointing out the cat - it's almost an eye spy quilt. Love me a lap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on your ruler win - nice runner.
    Great use of the Presidential Panel. I have it in red, but I really like the blue.
    your spider web quilt turned out great.

    ReplyDelete