Saturday, March 2, 2019

BIRD QUILT DELIVERED

The State Bird/Flower quilt is finished!  Including a label!!  So, yesterday I delivered it to my friend.  She told me that she had embroidered the blocks around 2000 and that someone had been going to make them into a quilt, but it didn't happen.


Here are some close up views of the border and more blocks.  I quilted everything the free motion way, quilting hooked feathers in the borders and in some of the blocks.


The easiest way to quilt the blocks was to stitch around the bird and flowers and then stippling in the white spaces.





For the pelican, I made waves lines because they are a water bird and sometimes I quilted feathers or circles or echoing.  I wanted to be sure everything was sewn down well because the batting was polyester.


Here she is with her quilt.  She was very happy to have it finished.  She is pretty much home bound now, so she hasn't been to church for quite a while.  I met her in my Sunday school class a few years ago.  


One more project accomplished.  I didn't work on any strip quilting this month, so I couldn't link with Humble quilts, but I will do some in March.

15 comments:

  1. So very good of you to do this for her, Ruth. She appears so happy to have her blocks in a finished quilt. The quilting looks wonderful. I haven't tried making feathered wreaths without a stencil. Don't know if I will ever get that brave, but yours look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilting and an equally lovely gesture keeping in contact with its home bound embroiderer. You can see how pleased she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You surely blessed that dear lady ! Just look at her smile! It makes ME happy to see it done and with it's owner. How wonderful that you were able to give her that memorable gift. The birds appear to be well done and your quilting made it even better. I am smiling. 8-))) ElaineAdair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Ruth! It is absolutely GOOORRRRGEEEOUUUS! She looks so happy. She appreciate your work I'm sure. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful quilt and huge labor of love...no doubt she is bursting with happiness over seeing it done...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful, wonderful quilting! She looks very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! That's some quilt! Awesome finish. I bet she's just pleased as punch. So nice to get something that was so obviously labored over to a final project. The quilting is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure that quilt is! Your friend will be forever grateful to you for doing such a beautiful job on quilting it for her. The smile on her face confirms that! I'd say both of you have been blessed by your action. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just in love with your bird quilt. What a beautiful gift for your friend! She seems delighted

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely thing to do for this lady. Lovely and loving. She looks so happy with the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such a wonderful job Quilting this lovely quilt! Your friend looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photo of your friend with her quilt! Your finish of her work is beautiful. Humble quilts blog today is "Reasons we Quilt" --- your post definitely hit that mark!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a terrific job quilting that! You can tell she is so happy with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have created such a beautiful heirloom quilt from your friends pretty embroideries and paid tribute to the many hours of hand work she did. Your thoughtful approach to the quilting has added an extra dimension of crafts(wo)manship to a very special piece.

    ReplyDelete