Saturday, November 8, 2008

CHRISTMAS QUILT; TRADE FROM TASMANIA

I found a blog friend in Tasmania, Australia and we traded some fabric.  Below is some of what   received from Leanna in exchange for some fabric from me.   I plan to use the charm squares in a tumbler charm quilt.  It still amazes me that we find friends on the other side of the world by blogging.  It is so fun!
Here are some of the other charm squares I have collected for the tumbler charm quilt.  I will be using mostly reproduction fabrics - or fabrics that can pass for reproduction types, Tee Hee.  I will be hand piecing it, so needless to say, this will be a long term project.  No deadline here!
Here is one of the finished doll quilts that I made last week.  I sold one to a friend at work and she was real happy with it.  I hope to sell this one (if not, I will give it away).  The pillow is kind of strange (long & skinny), but I had some blocks left over and this is how it turned out.

I have been wanting a Christmas quilt, so I decided to use these charm squares to make a lap quilt for us.  It's a really fast project.
I'm kind of addicted to charm squares!
I found another charm pack of  Christmas fabrics and I think I will make this one with alternating fabrics, such as the ones I laid out below.  We'll see if I get this finished in time to give as a gift.
The LQS is having a sale - 40% off everything in the store!!!  I went there yesterday and plan to go back today.  The store will be changing hands the first of the year, so the owner is trying to clear out the inventory.  I love it!!!

9 comments:

  1. My goodness Ruth, you are a beehive of activity. I love the fabric for your tumbler quilt (it's on my list of quilts to make). I too have *met* some wonderful people from around the world through blogging (including yourself, of course!)

    The doll quilt is such a sweetie and I rather like the long billow. I made a similar one years ago with a butterly theme for a friends daughter to match a quilt she had.

    I'm busting to play with charm squares too. Your Christmas quilts are delightful. I hope you manage to finish them all.

    I'm off to the fabric shop today as they too are having a sale. The big quilt fabric shop is having a minimum 50% off - I'm heading up there next weekend to bag some bargains (I hope).

    Happy Stitching...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet when you starting this 'blogging' you never guessed you would be having almost daily conversations with quilters across our globe! Isn't it fun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bunch of pretty quilts and works in process on your blog today. The baby quilt is just charming and I like the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth,
    What wonderful quilts you have made, I haven't been on here for a while, and missed your last 3 posts,You surely have been a very busy lady. Sorry your hubby isn't feeling good. Maybe by now he has had the shot and is doing lots better, I wish him good luck with the shot. Sorry you had to miss the baby shower, did you get your quilt and other gifts mailed off in time for them to be at the shower? I hope so. Take care, Bobbin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Christmas lap quilt! I made one years ago...I wonder what happened to it? I'll have to look for it when I get my CHristmas stuff out and see if it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilts,glad to hear that you hand piece. I'm a bit of a hand girl as well and also live in Tasmania. I also love square charm packs. I like the idea of lots of a little rather then a length of just one.Happy stitching.
    Warmly Lenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun projects you have going on at your house. I love the doll quilt. And the Christmas quilt is really going to be festive. I love the fabrics for your tumblers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same tumbler template, and have been contemplating cutting up some of my 3 1/2 in. strips. I was going to hand piece them too! So funny. I'm just making myself finish a few things first, before I start cutting something else out! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fabrics! And I love what you are doing with them! Lovely quilts!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete