Friday, June 2, 2017

FLAGS OF REVOLUTION PROGRESS REPORT

Here is my "almost completed" top of the "Flags of the American Revolution" quilt (designed by Jan Patek) up on my design wall.  Not all blocks are sewn together yet.  


This block (below) is supposed to have 13 blue star buttons sewn on the tan field, but I have decided to appliqué 13 felted wool stars on it instead.  This is due to Lori's advice that buttons make it uncomfortable to lie on.

Here is a close up of the flag, is a replica of the one flown at the battle of Guilford Courthouse, which was a major turning point for independence.  FYI:  all the flag blocks have historical significance.


I think these stars will look as good as, or better, than blue star buttons.


Today I went to a garage sale and bought these "raggy" quilt blocks.  They were cut on one of those special "cutting" machines so that they have all the edges already cut, and they were put together with a piece of batting and a denim backing, but not sewn.  So, I sewed an "X" on each of the 36 blocks.


I also purchased some pieces of fabric, some Tupperware and some jewelry.  The house that the sale is at is loaded with craft items among other things and the Estate sale is next weekend!

Have a great weekend everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I think your wool stars will be perfect, much better than buttons. Only time I'd consider using buttons would be a wall hanging. Good find on those rag blocks. Will they become a donation quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good, Ruth. If the quilt will be more than a wall hanging, then replacing the buttons is a good call.
    Are you going back for the estate sale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flags quilt is looking so great. Great idea to use wool instead of the buttons. I did the same but just cut circles. It's one of my favorite quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flag quilt is quite impressive! I agree to use your stars rather than buttons. I'm curious what you will do with the garage sale blocks. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a stunning quilt and making felt stars is such a good idea - better than the buttons. Scored more bargains. You have an eagle eye for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your flags, this is a wonderful quilt! The little frogs are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ruth
    Your flag blocks are so amazing. I love this project, the blues stars will look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete