Monday, April 22, 2013


About a month ago I won a giveaway by Kansas Troubles quilters and I received a 5" charm pack of "Pheasant Hill" fabrics and a 2 1/2" charm pack of the same.

After searching for something to make with the charm pack, I came across this table runner pattern in my file and decided to use it for the 5" pack.  Then, what to make with a 2 1/2" charm pack.  I never had one of those before, and since I didn't use it on the table runner, I thought, what if I make a mini table runner with it?  So I did!  

Here are both of the table runners.

Large one is 38" x 17"

Mini is 15" x 7 1/2"
I have posted something in my secret blog, so if you have access you can check it out.  If you want to see what I have in my secret blog, send me an email and I will give you access.

Thursday, April 18, 2013


I can't believe it's been 10 days since I posted!  I have been quite busy with having a garage sale last Friday & Saturday, getting the leftovers ready for the Salvation Army, etc.  It seems like every day this week I've been running around and not doing as much sewing as I want to do, but I am working on things.  

First of all, I want to thank you all for the many sweet comments that I received on my last post.  

I recently showed a new doll bed that I received from a friend.  Below are the blocks I'm making to put on the bed.  The pattern is from Kathleen Tracy's Remembering Adelia book.  I reduced the orange peel shape because I didn't want my quilt as big as hers.  I am appliquéing them onto a variety of shirtings.  The ones in the picture have not been sewn together except the lower left four.  I used the spray starch method to prepare the shapes for sewing.

I made another table runner similar to one that I sold in my Etsy shop and it is ready to be quilted (as soon as I get my sewing machine back from being serviced).

Another table runner made with Jo Morton's fabric.

I have started prepping my applique baskets for April and thanks to Joanne's suggestion, I sewed a basting stitch around the curved base on each side of the basket and it worked great to get a good smooth fold over of that part.   I also bought the template plastic that you can iron on and it is much better.

That's about it for this week.  I hope you all have a great weekend!

PS:  I have posted something on my secret blog (for those of you have access).  

Monday, April 8, 2013


I finished my Civil War Block of the Week Quilt from 2011 featured on Barbara Brackman's Blog.   I enjoyed making the blocks and looked forward to Saturday mornings when they would appear on Barbara's blog.  The setting I used was one that she offered as a suggested setting here.  It is the second one shown in this post and I just love it!  It took me over a year to get it finished (not counting the year to make the blocks, but here it is!

A big thank you to Barbara for her wonderful blog and for the blocks of the week and all the history included.  I really need to take my time and study it more extensively.

Center Block - Railroad Crossing

the backing

The quilt measures 95" square and it is the second very large quilt that I have quilted this year.  I'm going to be working on smaller quilts for quite a while - I hope!  Thanks for all the encouraging words!

Friday, April 5, 2013


I'm going to start using Bloglovin and hopefully it will transfer all the blogs I follow.  Google Reader is going away soon and I have lots of blogs on my list.  I am not happy with them as they already have changed Google Reader and it's not working like it used to.

="">Follow my blog with Bloglovin
If any of you have signed up with Bloglovin, let me know how it is working for you.

I'm almost finished with my Civil War quilt.  I just have the border to quilt and the binding to put on.  I'll have it finished by Monday night's quilters guild meeting!

My quilting pattern for the pieced blocks comes from this block.
Order Number 11,  Civil War Block #40
I used this template that DH made for me to mark each block, which had to be done with a  marker for dark fabric and another marker for light fabric.  I find it very hard to quilt following a line, so my quilting has some zigs and zags in it.  

This one has a zig in it.  They probably all do, so if I stopped to rip out every one, I would never get finished.  I'm hoping that the over all effect of the quilting will draw the eyes to the good parts!  There are 52 pieced blocks in the quilt as this QAL lasted a full year and there was a block every week.

Finishing this quilt is my priority for the next few days.  Thanks for visiting and I hope you have a quilty weekend!