Monday, July 6, 2015

ONE QUILT BOUND AND SOME DJ BLOCKS

Our celebration of Independence Day was quiet.  It's been very hot here, so DS#1 came over with GD and GS (DIL was still in Africa, but gets home today) since our house is air conditioned and their's isn't.  The men wanted to watch the Wimbledon tennis tournament, but I'm not sure if they got to see any of it.  GD and I had a Sew-A-Thon.  We had plenty to eat - too much, actually!

I finished binding this baby quilt.  At first I had a hard time finding the right fabric for the binding.  Then I spotted the perfect fabric, which was 2 FQs that I got at Good Will!  You'll see a close-up in the 2nd and 3rd picture.  It had all the colors in the quilt!




Then I started working on some DJ blocks while GD made a zippered pouch.  I set up my featherweight so we each had a machine and we hunkered down.

C-13

D-1

C-8

C-4
I didn't do all of these on the 4th, but continued yesterday.  Now, I have about 4 more ready to paper piece - fabric selected and papers cut and marked.  I'm almost finished with Row C!  With 13 blocks per row, that's 39 finished and I have 6 blocks finished from Rows D and E.  The quilt has 13 rows, so that comes to 169 blocks - not to mention the border!  Yikes!  I've been working on it for 1 1/2 years now.  Will I get it done?  I better try to do more blocks faster than this.

Hope you are staying cool (or warm if you are down under) .  Keep quilting!

10 comments:

  1. Perfect find for the binding!
    I admire your tenacity on the DJ blocks. Steady progress is admirable. I can't even get started. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great blocks you have made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's terrific binding! I know how it feels to want just the right fabric but you were lucky to find it at the Goodwill. The DJ quilt is definitely a labour of love. Take all the time you need to achieve the result you desire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had fun with the family; I did too. I think the binding can really help make a quilt and that binding is perfect! Those two blue DJ blocks are very special. I never knew there were so many pretty blocks until you share them with us. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work in progress on your DJ blocks is great and your blocks are cute !!
    Not an easy quilt......
    The little quilt for baby is cute too ! And I love the quilting !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet and cheerful little baby quilt. I think you found the perfect binding fabric! Great Goodwill find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when the binding is a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The baby quilt has such marvelous quilting on it, thanks for the close-ups that let us see it! Perfect binding choice, too! The Dear Jane quilt is way beyond my scope, I won't even consider doing it but I admire your work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bright, beautiful quilt! And some lovely blocks....I'm not familiar with the DJ method you are referring to. They are very nice.

    ReplyDelete