Thursday, July 23, 2015

SOME QUILTING DONE AND SOME NOT

I basted 2 donation quilts and finished quilting one.  This one is a large baby size quilt and I tried a different quilting design that I saw somewhere.  It still needs binding.  It began as a "leader/ender" project and it's mostly reds, blues and stars for the alternating blocks.

bottom view

top view


 Then I started on the next donation quilt, which is somewhat larger - almost twin size.  I have been having problems with the quilting.  Maybe you can see what the sewing machine is doing.  It only does this when I'm FMQing.  Then I have to stop, rethread the machine, take out the bad stitches and start again.  It also makes rats nests randomly on the bottom side.  Not fun.

I may have blogged about this before.  I have a Janome 6600 which sews great all of the time except when I free motion quilt.  Another blogger also has this problem with her Janome.  Does anyone else have this happen?  I have taken it to be serviced a couple times on this, but it didn't get fixed.  I will probably try again soon.

thread makes a triangle tent

2 rats nests in swirl

The quilting is put aside for now.  In the mean time, I am working on some table runners for my GDs wedding reception coming up in August!  Oh my!  Can she be old enough to get married already?  

7 comments:

  1. I really like your quilting in the first picture. Surely I should be able to do that, but I doubt it. And yes, my Janome 8900 does the similar "tent" thingy, and another friend's same machine does too. Mine doesn't do it often, but of course, I'm not really free motioning as often as either of you two do. The four patches turned out really cute. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quilting design you used on your quilt. I am always on the look out for simple designs as I am still learning to FM Q. I really like the four patch baby quilt, a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth, I have a Janome 8900 and a 6600. I do a lot of quilting with Superior threads So fine, and that is the only time I have that same problem. I love this thread but it is susceptible to shredding. I will often change my needle to a smaller size...check the Superior website as they have lots of info regarding the correct needle size. With my 6600 I take it off auto tension and run it around 6-7 and normally have very little trouble with it at all.Pressure on about 1.5 of course. Do you use the quilting bobbin case at all? Maybe your bobbin tension is a little loose...dont be afraid to tighten it a little bit. Hope this helps some as I know how frustrating it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it something to do with the tension or threading of the machine? Is the rat's nest occurring on the top of the project? I have the 6260QC and I don't have that issue. How wonderful that your GD is getting married. They grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry to hear about your machine troubles! so frustrating!
    Have you tried a little heavier thread? also be sure to use the same in the top and bottom.
    I also swear by the bobbin genie - you can find them on line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have a 6600 and quilted at least 20 FM quilts on it. Pretty successfully. First thing I learned is to adjust the tension to less. (Remember "righty tighty - lefty loosy) I set that tension to between 7 and 9. Depending on what batting was used. Of course you drop the feed dogs and use the darning foot. Meandering was where I started and always came out the best. When I wanted a design, I drew out a pattern on paper then made a template from the thickest, clear plastic Walmart carried. I used either a chalk pencil or disappearing pen to strategically make my path. Always have a scrappy "sandwich" to practice on until your tension is right and remember where the tension was so you can re-adjust your machine. I finally broke the rod the needle is attached to and had it replaced for big bucks. Repairman said it wasn't the quilting, but happened because I didn't change my needle every 8 hours of sewing! I didn't know that and he said that was the culprit! I now have a JUKI 2200QVP sit down machine. Sit down was all I had room for. It's wonderful! Let me know if you'd like more information about it. Wish I could past in a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most problems start with a dull needle and improper tension. The tension should be adjusted for each quilt and don't forget to re-adjust when you go back to regular sewing.

    ReplyDelete