Wednesday, July 8, 2015

PLUGGING ALONG ON DJ

 I think I'm finally learning my lesson!  The lesson is to make the DJ block with plenty of extra fabric around the sides, so that it is big enough.  You can see on the photo below, that the block needs to be trimmed down to the correct size with my DJ ruler.


Now, it is trimmed and I don't have to add any fabric to the sides to make it big enough.  Yes, I have had to do that.  But, from now on, I am making the pieces bigger than I think I need.  It's hard to tell when PPing sometimes and you end up with not enough seam allowance.  At least I do.  

C-10
The red sections didn't photograph very well, but you can imagine that it looks better than this.

D-7
Today, I think I'll tackle one of the very difficult blocks.  If I get it done, I'll post it tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had some hard lessons similar to what I had with my octagon put-together. Both those blocks are really pretty. I'm sure the next one will be too. Have fun with it! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are spot on with my PP experiences. I used to focus more on not wasting fabric. Then I decided I have more than enough fabric--it is my time that is limited. Fixing booboos from pieces that weren't quite large enough to cover the paper was stealing my most precious commodity. Now I cut pieces plenty large! : )
    Good looking blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good solution ! Why not ? Like that, you will have perfect DJ squares !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that too for my HST. A quick trim and TA-DA, it's a perfect HST block. Works wonder for the self esteem too lol. Can't wait to see the new block tomorrow as I know you will succeed. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are more difficult blocks?! Good idea to make them bigger for trimming. This is going to be a wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paper piecing and me often do not get along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More lovely blocks! Oooh, I'm not good at paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blocks! When possible it is a good idea to make them larger. :)

    ReplyDelete