Thursday, March 7, 2013

A FINISH AND A WIN!

The quilt is finished except for a few little things, like embroidering antennae on the butterflies and quilting some accent lines on the some of the flowers.  Yea!! Now I can cross it off my list!!!  Don't look too close - of course, now you will!  I'm somewhat, but not completely happy with it.  I'm not looking for compliments, just admitting it isn't as good as I wish it was.  My excuses are:  I didn't have a pattern and I was making it up as I went along.  Ugh!  I don't really like white quilts and I'm not very experienced with applique, although I am attempting to remedy that.  I found that quilting the feathers is easier than quilting straight or semi-straight lines.  

Oh well, it's not going into a quilt show and it's for family.  I hope they will be happy with it. 




Now, I can work on my Civil War quilt, which is ready to baste.  In the mean time, I'm making matching dresses for Abby and her 18" doll, Lulu.

I was lucky enough to win a copy of of this book from Carolyn and just received it!  I am almost finished with Jennifer Chiaverini's other Civil War book, The Union Quilters, and have been enjoying it, so I'm looking forward to reading this one.


Since this is the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, now is the time to learn more about it and Jennifer's two books, at least the first one (and I'm sure I'll find the second one too), has a lot of facts put into it and I love historical novels.  Also, the movie about President Lincoln as well as the Killing Lincoln book by Bill O'Reilly and movie that was on TV are available too.

17 comments:

  1. The colors are so vivid and beautiful. I like how you pulled colors from the border fabric.

    Good job and a labor of love!

    How big is the finished quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, your quilt is stunning! I think your quilting and appliqué are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be happy about it--it looks wonderful! Can't believe you didn't have a pattern!
    We are so critical of our own work, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Ruth. The quilt is beautiful. It's okay to breath now..LOL. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not just saying so, but the quilt is really charming! You will get better, but you will always remember this quilt. And I'm sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You applique and quilter are stellar!!! You should be very proud and I'm sure your family will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ruth, it is gorgeous! No pattern? All that gorgeous quilted texture... You seriously need to pat yourself on the back! I'm sure it will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful. Such a pretty design. Quilting is great. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth, I think it looks just grand!! A treasure for sure!!! I'm also looking forward to Jennifer's new book, but haven't gotten it yet! Maybe soon!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, don't sell yourself short. This is absolutely beautiful. I love it!!!!!!!I just found your blog.....Happy Quilting from Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is fantastic! Your quilting is amazing.You should be very proud of it.
    Congrats on the win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did I tell you that if you're not really happy with that gorgeous quilt, or if the family isn't, I'd be glad to take it off your hands?!!! Both the applique and the quilting are amazing! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your win, I remember seeing your name in a list of winners not too long ago. Enjoy your book! Your quilt is beautiful, I love the flowers and butterflies. The quilting looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Ruth! It's so beautiful! Please don't be so hard on yourself. Your work is always of a high standard and your quilting skills are way above anything I can achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got closeups and can truthfully say I'm overwhelmed - the quilting is gorgeous.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whether you want compliments or not, you're getting one from me. That quilt looks AMAZING. I could not do that. I don't have the patience. And my feathers look like someone sneezed while making them. All of them. (Maybe I'm allergic to feathers?) Congrats on the finish and I know you'll make progress on your applique skills with all those fussy little baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was only going to comment how I smiled looking at the pretty dresses but then I scrolled down to see this white/butterflies and more appliqued beauty. From where I'm sitting, it is perfectly beautiful! 8-)) Hope the recipients appreciate your skill.

    ReplyDelete