Thursday, July 22, 2010

BASTING AND HSTs

Since my last post, I made a bunch more HSTs. Here is the first section of the flag quilt that I love and posted about when I was in Oregon.
These 2 sections of HSTs are for another project and I made lots more to have available for another quilt in the future - all out of reproductions.
First thing Monday morning DH and I set up 2 large tables in the garage and he helped me baste 4 quilts! I got the idea of setting up tables in the garage from Elaine. We have some tables that we use for craft shows, but I had never thought of using them for basting - DUH! I have gotten lots of great tips from Elaine. Here's the stack of quilts that we basted.
Here's my box of HSTs ready for use.
I finished the table runner! Too bad the table won't stay this neat!
Here is the string quilt getting quilted. I finished it yesterday and am ready to sew on the binding.
This is one of the other ones we basted and it is now finished and will be delivered to a friend at my former work today.

The reason I am working so hard on quilting (besides the fact that I love to do it), is that we will be leaving on another trip in 3 weeks and I need to get as much done as I can. Even though I will have my featherweight with me, I won't have much time to use it for 5 weeks. I'm trying to think of some more hand sewing projects to take with me besides the embroidery that I have prepared and one applique block to finish.

Today, I'm going to lunch with good friends from work. It will be good to see them again.

17 comments:

  1. I really like your HSTs and am looking forward to seeing them in a quilt!

    BTW, I have tables I used to use for craft shows and hadn't thought of using them for basting either! What a great idea, no more kneeling on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting so much accomplished!! Setting the tables up in the gargage is a great idea.
    I love everything you are working on- what are you up to with the repro hst?! I'm going to love it, I know that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hst look great, love the ones for your flag quilt. You really did get a lot done. I try to have hand sewing ready if I know I will be away from the machine for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky you are that your hubby helps baste! And you've already quilted two of them? Wow! My shoulders hurt just thinking about that much quilting! Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy! It all looks great. Good for you tackling all that freemotion quilting. Travelling again? Where to this time? -Joane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you quilting 24 hours a day? You certainly are productive! Every project is so special. I don't think I have ever seen so many HST's! And it seems you began that string quilt just a few days ago! I want to make one of those before long. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking GREAT!
    Love it ALL!!!! You've really gotten a lot done... XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you go girl! Love everything you've shown. Is it my imagination or do you have even less time for quiting now that you've retired than you did when you were working? LOL.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have indeed been very busy! I enjoyed popping in to see what your working on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the flag you are working on. That is a great pattern, you and Theri will have "matching" quilts!

    I also love all of your HST's, the fabrics are fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished quilt made of those.

    You have accomplished so much, you must not eat or sleep, just sew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow--- yes you have gotten alot done. The "String" quilt is great and so are the "HST's". Love the reproduction fabrics. Always fun to see what you are up to! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for kind words - you certainly have been productive! Did you put them on PVC pipes to make them taller? THAT is the very BEST tip I've ever had!

    So glad that worked for you!!! You've definitely benefitted from that idea. BTW, I got it from someone else who set them up under her outdoor awning, with a view of her mountains, while she basted her quilts. How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic work Ruth. You are powering through the projects with wonderful results! The table set up is a winner. Cheers, Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You almost made me dizzy with all that progress! Love all of it;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How great that hubby helped you! Isn't it nice to know that they are there when you need them for the little things as well as the big stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your strips quilts just seems to glow. Shows you what you can do with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Log Cabinj Quilter!! TaDa - you are the runner-up in my giveaway over at http://www.funkybabymine.blogspot.com
    You need to email me with your mailing address so I can get your prize on the way to you.
    BTW I'm a sucker for half square triangles and will be making some to use up a lovely selection of strong pastel calico prints - whee!!

    ReplyDelete