Saturday, May 15, 2010

ANOTHER WEEK

I can't believe it's been a week since I posted! Yesterday I received 2 more blocks from my block swap. The shades of blue are gorgeous! Thanks Joanne! This is so much fun!!!
These are my purchases from the quilt show last week. I bought the Quilt Sampler magazine, which is one of my favorites. It comes out twice a year and features 10 (this time it was 11) quilt shops around North America. It's fun to "visit" the shops via the magazine and try to find ones that I can actually visit.
I also bought this Benjamin Bunny panel to make either a book or a baby quilt from.
I found out Monday night at my quilters guild meeting that our local quilt shop is closing at the end of the month. Boo Hoo!! That is such a shame, but they are victims of the economy. I guess I should have bought more fabric there! Hee Hee! Anyway, on Tuesday, I went shopping there because everything was at least 50% off. So that part was good.

I have been practicing my free motion quilting a lot this week. See my practice piece below. I have a DVD by Patsy Thompson - Fast & Free - that I have watched quite a bit. Then, I have received lots of help and encouragement from Elaine in Nebraska. She's the one that recommended Patsy Thompson DVDs and I have seen her work on her blog. We have emailed back and forth, and with her encouragement, I am slowly improving my quilting skills on my domestic sewing machine (DSM).
I am working on a twin size quilt now and won't be showing it for a while, but I am pretty happy with how it is turning out. Patsy Thompson recommends spray basting, so I tried that this time and it is really nice to not have pins to deal with. I will post it sometime next month.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear a quilt shop is closing. Which one is it?

    P.S. Love the fabrics you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics that you bought, they are wonderful! The Benjamin Bunny fabric is so cute and will make something great. Can't wait to see what you do with it. It is too bad the quilt shop is closing, that is sad news when a business ends because of the economy. The sale prices are good for quilters though. Your quilting looks amazing, practice, practice, practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you find that it pinches in the back when you spray baste?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite quilt shop just closed. Supposedly the owners are just retiring. I figure the economy spurred the decision on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spray baste almsot all of my quilts and love it. Your machine quilting looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your DSM quilting is looking great! I haven't tried that pattern yet. Nice fabric buys and Quilt Sampler is is a gret magazine. That's a shame about the quilt shop. Joanne's blocks are lovely. Mine will go in the post tomorrow. Cheers, Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that same DVD and have watched it several times; what I need to do is practice, but I never get much done! Your quilting looks wonderful! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your machine quilting looks wonderful, I'm a big fan of the DVD's too. I must practice more. Your fabrics are lovely but what a shame about the quilt shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good that you are venturing into something that you find uncomfortable...it will stretch your possibilities very far.
    I would hate it if the shops here closed down, but I suppose that sort of thing is bound to happen once in a while. It's hard to keep up with the inexpensive stores sometimes.
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your machine quilting looks great. I also quilt on my DSM. Too bad about your local quilt shop. The economy has caused so many closures. When will it all end?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joanne's blocks are lovely and so are the fabrics you purchased! Sad to see a local quilt shop close--but you probably got a wonderful deal and the owners certainly do not want to be left with stock. Your practice piece looks great. Gives me an idea of what to put on the Xmas wish list--I have read many recommendations for her DVD's. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your free motion looks really good! Love your new goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you like the blocks. Your free-motion work is looking impressive. I just dipped my toe in last week and I'm just a bit intimidated and not quite sure where to start. Thanks for the tip about the video. I'll have to add that to my wish list. -Joanne

    ReplyDelete