Sunday, October 15, 2017

A FINISH AND A QUESTION

I recently finished "Flags of the American Revolution" designed by Jan Patek.  Lori had a Quilt-a-Long a while back (last year or the year before?) and I didn't make it then, but I bought the pattern and made it this year.  The blocks are large and pretty easy - especially since I used machine appliqué for it.  I love the eagle in the middle - so unique. 


Here's some close up photos of sections of the quilt.  The quilting in the center block is echoing the eagle.  The rest of the quilt is quilted with Baptist fans and I blogged about how I did that here.  You might  be able to see some of the yellow powder that I used to mark the fans.  I will get that off soon.  I really love how the fans look on a quilt.


I used antique buttons on this flag, which is the Bennington Flag.    I took Lori's advice and didn't get star buttons for the quilt because they make it very uncomfortable if you decide to take a nap on it.  These buttons aren't all identical and I like that about them also.  (BTW, the flags are replicas of actual flags that were flown in battle during the Revolutionary War.)


Below you can see the whole Bennington Flag.




You can see the quilting better in this photo below.  Pine Tree Flag is on the left sideways.  The pattern for this quilt is in a book and it has the history of each flag across the page from the instructions for each flag.




You can see the quilting on the back here as well as the fabrics on the back.



Here's my question.  Does anybody know the name of the block in this quilt and how to size the triangles? I saw this quilt at a quilt show at the Aurora Colony Museum on Friday and I really love it!  It is made with just 2 different triangles with no curves involved.   I would love to make this (as a long term project).  I have lots of CW reproduction fabric scraps left over from my Dear Jane quilt that I could use in it.


Here's a close-up of a block.  I think you can see the block pretty easily and see that you need 8 triangles in the middle and 4 triangles for the corners.


I'm sure someone out there knows!

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the beautiful finish. You did an excellent job. Must be a very interesting pattern book to read with all the history of each flag. As for your question, the block is called Kaleidoscope block. The pattern is here:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/K/KaleidoscopeBlock.html
    Enjoy the new project. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your flags quilt - isn't it nice to have a finish? Also love the other quilt - but I have no idea about what the pattern is. It's really a striking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are different names, but Kaleidoscope seems to be the most popular one. If you have BlockBase, it is #2704. I'm sure that I have a pattern in one of my mags if you need a copy of it. It has been on my 'to do' list for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's actually a kaleidoscope quilt. There was a recent one on the Moda Bakeshop called Esmeralda that was made more scrappy but done with 10 inch squares kind of stack and whack style. Her circles are dark instead of light. Just put light corners on the squares instead and you are all set. http://www.modabakeshop.com/2017/10/esmeralda-quilt-oct-4.html Hope this helps. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. In answer to your question:
    In Jennifer Chiaverini, Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book and in Quilterscache.com, the block is named "Kaleidoscope".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful finish! The quilting looks fantastic. I've seen the mystery quilt simply called "kaleidoscope" and Pinterest seems to agree! Good luck on the actual pattern search...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth, I started this pattern last Summer. I think it is called kaleidoscopequilt. There is a similar quilt in a book about the life of Lucy Boston (UK). I didn't know the measurements too but my husband helped me out. He is good in math. So I use squares size: 5 cm by 5 cm. The triangles have a 5 cm base and the two sides are 6,5 cm long. I think it is quite a challenge to get a good result. Choosing the right shades of colour makes all the difference so the patterns will be visible. I hope this will help you out.
    Good luck
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  8. No idea of the name of this block, but I love it. When I get home later tonight I'll look for it in Brackman's book of blocks. Your flag quilt is a great finosh. I love Baptist fan quilting in any traditional quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flag quilt looks wonderful, Ruth! I think the mismatched antique buttons are a nice touch. Did Lori learn the hard way not to use Star buttons? :)
    That quilt is what I have always known as Kaleidoscope. According to Brackman's Encyclopedia it is also know as Octagons, Semi-Octagon, Will of the Wisp, and The Windmill.
    Wish I could help you on sizing the triangles. I have always planned on making this one day, and have purchased a couple of acrylic triangle sets in different sizes to help me when I get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s called Lincoln’s Watch. Google it and you can find lots of pics. It’s just one block with lights and darks reversed. It’s gorgeous!! And so is your flag quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a Kaleidoscope Block-if you Google it you'll find all the info you need

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations on your finish! It is such a great pattern and your quilting really brought it to life.
    I love the buttons on the flag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your "Flags of the American Revolution" is so pretty, and your quilting is perfect, as usual! I agree with the others on the name of the other quilt block. You may remember I finished a scrappy pink and blue one back in April 2011. However, I didn't have proper contrast between the background fabrics and the star triangles; my entire quilt was a variety of only pink and blue. Consequently, mine did not turn out as well as I would have liked. The circles and stars can be seen, but they don't pop like the ones in your picture. Proper contrast is necessary, as I'm sure you know. Oh well; live and learn, right? Maybe I'll try it again someday. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your baptist fan quilting, and the antique buttons. A big accomplishment finishing the quilt! I enjoy mine so much - I keep it out all summer. I agree with the others - kaleidoscope - and a pattern can be found in third edition of the book Quilts Quilts Quilts -

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, everyone has already suggested same name - Kaleidoscope - in fact I kinda was inspired by the aboe mentioned book, Quilts, Quilts, Quilts. My current K quilt is still in process - yours is a beauty - you did really well in your values. I

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is fabulous and so is your quilting!!
    I looked close at that fun quilt and all the lovely fabric and decided I'm not a fan of having 8 points meet in the center... I'm sure yours will be fantastic as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is awesome! It is so pretty and I love anything patriotic. Love the baptist fan quilting, too. It is perfect for the quilt. The buttons look so good on the flag. Congratulations on another finish! The kaleidoscope quilt is nice, love the colors in this one. Hope you can track down a pattern and start playing with fabrics for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a marvellous quilt and a wonderful tribute to your country's history. Australians have had an easier time of things since we haven't been forged in the crucibles of revolution and civil war. I really like that you honour your past and history in this way. Have fun with the Kaleidoscope quilt.

    ReplyDelete