Sunday, September 10, 2017

MORE QUILTING AND ANOTHER FINISH

It seems like I've been quilting my little heart out these days, but there is a pause.  My sewing machine is in the shop, so I got my Featherweight out and was happily piecing some blocks when I noticed the tension was really bad.  I couldn't get it fixed no matter what I did, so when I get my Janome back,  I will take in my Featherweight!  In the mean time, I'm trying to get a little organized.

I had already finished quilting Mama's cross stitched Paragon quilt top and now I finished binding it, so here are a few pictures again taken outside with the quilt hanging on a clothes line.  The sun is shining through it some.  I bound it in a solid blue to match the flowers.  I had to fold the top over the clothes line so it wouldn't dangle on the ground.







Next project is quilting Flags of the American Revolution.  I decided to quilt it with large baptist fans except for the center eagle block.  I purchased the baptist fan template from Barb here.  It is perfect for this quilt.  Barb created her own large fan template when she couldn't find one this size anywhere.  I'm really glad I got it and think I will use it more often from now on.
 

Here's a picture of the template.  One fan measures 14 1/2" high and wide.  I'm marking it one fan at a time with a Clover roll on powder.  It works pretty well, except as you quilt, some of the powder rubs off and it's hard to see the lines, but this way I'm not using any sort of pen and don't have to worry about the marks staying in when they are not supposed to.  I guess I'm afraid to use pens.


I will be hanging Dear Jane's Quilting Journey at the Treasurers in the Attic Quilt Show in McMinnville, OR on Sept. 16.  It's at the Yamhill County Heritage Museum.  If you are in the area, I hope you can come by to see it and many other quilts.  You can also have some antiques appraised for $5.00 each.  If you come, look for me at my vendor's booth.

10 comments:

  1. I really love this new finish. The quilting is beautiful and perfect for the embroidered top. Wish we could be there for the Treasures from the Attic show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you put your needle in backwards and thread from the back side. I just had that problem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting on the cross stitched quilt complements the stitching perfectly. It's beautiful. I'll have to look at that baptist fan template. I have a quilt it would be perfect for, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful quilt Ruth and I like the feather swag that traces the trailing vine. The FOTR quilt will look terrific with those big Baptist Fans and that a great size for the template. Pens make me nervous too! I would love to see your quilt hanging. So inconvenient living so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your moms coverlet turned out beautifully! I just love it and it reminds me of one my mother had.
    The quilting is stunning!
    The fans are looking great and are perfect for this quilt! Thanks for posting photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love the Paragon Quilt. Your mother did a fantastic job with all her wonderful stitches and then you made it even better with all your beautiful quilting! You have a real treasure. I also like the Baptist Fan design on the Flags of the American Revolution. I may not often comment but I always look at and enjoy your quilting blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mother's cross stitch quilt is beautiful, and you did a great job on the quilting too. I love the Baptist Fan quilting; I have several quilts I inherited quilted with that design; I may get brave enough to try it some day, if I ever get another quilt top made! I hope you'll show us that quilt when you finish it. How I wish I could be there to see your DJ quilt and the others in the show. Have fun, and be careful with your quilt! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to be able to complete your Mother's quilt! I just lost my Mum 2 1/2 months ago and i would be delighted to complete something she had worked on. Your quilting looks fabulous! How you managed it on your sewing machine is a marvel to me!! Always love to see what you are working on.Greetings from Australia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Mother's quilt is beautiful! Her needlework and your quilting are just gorgeous! The baptist fan quilting will be great on your other quilt. I might have to check out the template. It is one that could be used often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both quilts are wonderful! I hope by now BOTH machines are back home and runnning great!

    ReplyDelete