Thursday, August 11, 2016

BASTING, QUILTING AND AN AWARD!

I hadn't given it any thought whatsoever, but a pregnant friend from my quilt guild asked if I would take her quilt to the Yamhill County Fair for her as her baby was due at the same time and she thought she might be busy!  Well, I decided to enter my Baskets of Blue since I was going there anyway.  It won First Place in the category of appliqué by one person and the Best of Show ribbon!  What a nice surprise!  


This week I got busy and basted a couple wall hangings.  The "Oak Leaves and Turkey Feathers" is one that I started a few years ago and I wanted to get it finished for fall so I could have it as "Fall" decor.  Yesterday I started quilting it.  It is quite big - it just about covered the whole top of my king size bed, but I didn't measure it.


I also basted my round robin from last year and want to get it finished so I can take it to my guild meeting in September.  We have been off for the summer and I plan to hang both of these quilts in the "Treasusres in the Attic" show at the Yamhill County Heritage Museum in September.


This is my first round robin and I have decided that I will do it again this year (after having decided not to do it again).  I think I'm a glutton for punishment!  They can be fun, but they can also be very frustrating - trying to come up with a border for a different RR every month!  Why do I do this?



25 comments:

Karen said...

Your quilt definitely deserves the ribbons. And blue to match your quilt. Congratulations.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Congratulations on your ribbons! What a beautiful quilt! The blues are so classic. It's just lovely.

Lori said...

Congratulations! That quilt is a beauty and a ribbon is well deserved!

Lin McQ said...

Congratulations! I've always loved your basket quilt.

Judith said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful!

Janet O. said...

I am not at all surprised at the ribbons you brought home. That quilt has always had a warm place in this quilter's heart. It is a beautiful creation--congrats!!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congratulations on the well-deserved reward! :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Congratulations Ruth! So very much deserved, and I hope you will enter your quilt in the state fair too. It just deserves to be seen by a wider audience, it's absolutely spectacular.

Frog Quilter said...

A beautiful picture of you and your prize quilts. I've always loved the blue basket quilt. So pretty and I bet it snuggles good!

Scrap and quilts said...

Congratulations on the ribbons! Love the fall applique quilt too. So lovely. ;^)

Handmade by Joan said...

Congratulations on the blue ribbon! It is well deserved. The quilt is beautifully made.

---"Love" said...

I'm not surprised at all that your Baskets of Blue quilt won not only a blue ribbon but also Best of Show, and neither should you be surprised! The quilt is incredibly beautiful. I think that every time I open your blog! Your patience and determination always amaze me. I'm betting your Oak Leaves and Turkey Feathers will win blue ribbons too. I've never done a round robbin, but it sounds like a fun thing, and perhaps a challenge at times. Just know I'm so proud to call you my friend! ---"Love"

Gayle said...

Congratulations on your ribbons! That quilt is definitely deserving!

canuckquilter said...

Congratulations! I'm not surprised your quilt won a ribbon. It is gorgeous, and your work is meticulous. Enjoy quilting the two quilts you just basted. I'm trying to work up the courage to quilt that large a project on my home machine, but as I can't afford to send it out I'll have to eventually take a deep breath and just do it!

belarmina said...

Ruth, felicidades!!!
tu colcha siempre me encanta,
premio merecido.
buen fin de semana

Lindah said...

Congratulations on your blue! It really is a beautiful quilt.

Barb said...

Congratulations on a wonderful win for a wonderful quilt!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Congratulations! Your quilt is beautiful--can't go wrong with that color combination

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Congratulations. Keep you the great work.

Leanne said...

Congratulation on your winning ribbon Ruth, your quilt is beautiful and it deserved to win a prize. xxx You do amazing work,

Teresa said...

Congratulations twice over. Your applique quilt is so lovely, would like to see a full picture of it.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Congratulations! That must feel good. its a Beautiful quilt..as usual.
Blessings

Karen said...

I am so happy for you, it's a thrilling thing. So glad you went the extra mile to finish that quilt.

Gloria said...

Congratulations on the ribbons! Of course, I am not surprised!! You know this is on my list but now you have shown me another one....from Jan Patek. I guess now I will need to live to 125 instead of 120!!

Marsha said...

Congratulations! Your quilt is beautiful and you did such a wonderful job with it. I am so glad I got to see it in person! I love the colors in Oak Leaves and Turkey Feathers, it will look great as a fall quilt in your home.Your round robin quilt is very pretty, too, such pretty blues in there. Enjoy your stitching time.