Friday, October 24, 2014

BLOGGERS' QUILT FESTIVAL - APPLIQUE CATEGORY

Today is the start of the Bloggers' Quilt Festival and I decided to enter my Baskets of Blue in the Applique category.  This is quite a step for me because it is the first all hand appliqué quilt that I have ever made!  

In December of 2012, I went to my favorite quilt shop in Waxahachie, TX, Common Threads, to spend a gift certificate that I had received.  That shop has lots of BOMs and classes, but I had never participated in any.  However, that day I saw this basket quilt hanging as a BOM and I fell fast.  I don't know what possessed me because I had never done much appliqué, but I loved that quilt, and signed up for the BOM (actually BsOM).  Each month I would receive fabric to make 12 little basket blocks and I started out by trying different methods of appliqué that I found on the internet. 

In the past I had taken a class on needle turn appliqué (when I first started quilting) and that convinced me that I didn't want to do it.  But I tried needle turn, I tried back basting and I checked out several youtube videos for different types of appliqué.  I finally settled on the spray starch method.  The prepping was much worse than sewing the baskets on, but I persevered and most months I kept caught up.  I was really excited when I finished it.

If you like it, I hope you will vote for "Baskets of Blue" on the Bloggers' Quilt Festival that starts today with voting starting November 1 until the 7th.


I quilted it on my domestic sewing machine and it measures approximately 65" square.




Please visit Bloggers' Quilt Festival  to see other quilts and to enter one of your own.  All the information on how to do it, when to do it and what prizes can be won is there.  You can enter 2 quilts during the festival.

21 comments:

  1. I do love this quilt! You certainly got the hang of hand applique while making this one!The scalloped edge finishes the quilt perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous Ruth! One of my favorites of the ones you have posted recently. Has my vote!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! I applaud you--that is quite a venture for someone who doesn't applique much. : ) It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful quilt! I will definitely be voting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt, it has everything I love, baskets and it is blue! You definitely have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are a natural-born quilter. I love baskets and I love blue and I can see why you fell in love with this quilt. You did an amazing job for someone who was a novice at applique. I'd say you are an expert now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love that quilt, baskets and blues perfect for me. I will be voting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt...pleased to see it entered in the festival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt, beautifully done. Glad you are showing it off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely quilt. So glad you persevered. You don't have to dread the "A" word any more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to see you entered it! You made an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm betting it will be a winner; it certainly will have my vote! I love it! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful quilt and I'm very impressed with your first applique quilt! It is a stunner for sure. Good luck with this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your persevering! It's an amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Despite your aversion to applique, that quilt seems so much like you it's no mystery what drew you to it in my mind. It was fun seeing it come together and I'm so glad you've finished it and entered. Now I just have to remember to go vote next week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I can see that this is a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a wonderful quilt. I love the baskets with the centerpiece.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've done a beautiful job on this one. Love the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a beauty!! Lovely scalloped edges and great shading across the quilt.
    Wonderful photography too!

    ReplyDelete