Sunday, November 11, 2012

APQ BLOCK SWAP QUILT FINISHED!

I finally finished my APQ Block Swap quilt!  The blocks were swapped in 2010.  I'm really glad this is finished.  I only need to put the label on - I hope I can find it.  I'm sure it is here somewhere, but it's probably underneath something else!  



I quilted it on my domestic sewing machine.  The hardest part of doing the quilting myself is figuring out how I want to do the quilting.  Of course, it is done by free motion (FMQ).  At first, I was thinking about an "all over" pattern, but I didn't want to use a light colored thread in the black setting triangles and didn't want to use black thread on the rest of the quilt.  So finally, I decided on what to do in the blocks which was a kind of swirl around the seams.

Next, what to do in the sashings?  Luckily, I recently won the Free Motion Quilting book by Angela Walters.  On page 44, she has a "Swirl Scroll" that I had already used in a couple borders and it was a lot easier than it looks, so I decided to use that in the sashing.


The black setting triangles weren't a problem because I already knew I would quilt hooked feathers in it.  I think you can see them better in this blog post from a few days ago.

The inner 1" border got circle swirls, so that was easy.  Then came the HST border, and I wasn't sure what to do there, but then I just got an idea, partly from DH and partly from some of the FMQ challenge lessons that I have done this year, so I just did squiggly lines going opposite ways on the light and dark parts.





The lessons I have completed from the FMQ challenge that sewcalgal is hosting have helped me immensely, not only in the actual quilting process, but in my attitude about the quilting.  I'm glad that these experts have made me feel more free about trying things and about not being a "perfect" quilter.  I'm doing this because I love it and enjoy it and if I was a perfectionist, I don't think I would enjoy it nearly as much.  And luckily, the quilting itself isn't always really that visible and the mistakes aren't always that noticeable.  And what if someone does notice an irregular line?  Well, life is too short to worry about that.  It is a lot of work, but I'm glad that I'm doing the quilting on my own quilts.  The quilting part isn't for everyone, though and I understand that.  Your quilts will be more professional looking than mine!

16 comments:

  1. I am very impressed, Ruth. You did a great job on the quilting (and I love the blocks). I agree--the FMQ Challenge has made me more willing to try things, and my skills have increased along the way. I know my quilting isn't as perfect as my longarm quilter did, but that is okay with me. I like the satisfaction of doing it myself. And like they say--finished is better than perfect. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, das ist wunderschön geworden.
    LG Grit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very impressed you quilted it on the machine by yourself, love the motifs you chose.
    its a wonderful quilt and even more special since it is made all by you.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that really turned out well. Fantastic! Makes me proud to know that my blocks are a part of it!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when you started to learn different FMQ designs. You have come so far and done very well. I like the setting you chose for the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you brought this quilt to my home last Saturday so I could see it up close and personal. You did a fantastic job on quilting it! All the blocks from everyone went together really well too! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on a great job. Lucky you to win that book - I just bought it. Angela has some wonderful ideas and pictures. Remember, no one will see the quilting in the critical way that we do, so I'm glad you're enjoying the process and moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I see that you have a new post, I get a big smile on my face! I love looking at your life ;)

    The HST quilting is a great idea. I'm sure I'll be using that some time.

    One of the reasons I love the internet is that I can "travel" to my friend's houses and see all their great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your attitude about the machine quilting. I couldn't agree more. I really think I'd be a miserable person if I worried and fret about every mistake or crooked line I have in my quilts. It is nice to enjoy the process. Life is too short for perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, your quiting is great and it is so nice to have it finished! It is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I spy my blocks in there!!;) You did wonderful on this;) And, as I keep saying...one of these days I will get mine done;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful! But I hear you about trying to figure out what to quilt. Seems my best ideas come to me while I'm trying to fall asleep at night - and then I can't remember them in the morning! Congrats on finishing and I love the pieced border. Maybe one of these days I'll make time to drag mine back out and figure out how to finish it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to the close-up pictures so I could see all the beautiful details. Wonderful work.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that pieced border! The quilt looks great. I'm not checking it out for any quilting wobbles :) The whole looks just fine. I know what you mean about the satisfaction of quilting your own quilts. I wouldn't turn up my nose at some gorgeous longarm quilting but since that isn't in the budget anyway it's a good thing I like to do my own (slow) quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its a beautiful quilt and I am inspired by your quilting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilting looks amazing. Looks perfect to me!!! I love seeing the swap quilts as they sre finished. Makes me smile to remember the fun we had doing those.
    Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete