Saturday, July 11, 2020

ONE FINISH AND ONE TOP DONE

A couple weeks ago I showed you some of the blocks for this scrappy string quilt and now it is finished!


This will be a donation quilt.  I quilted it with what Kim Diehl calls cinnamon rolls - a super easy way to quilt that turns out looking pretty good!  You can see how it looks in these two close up sections.





I finished the Pineapple Nine-Patch top that I showed you in my last post.  I'm glad I made it and also glad is it finished.  It measures 70" square.  I'm not sure if I will ever make another one, but I have seen some lovely ones in different colors.  It is very tempting!


This is what each block looks like.


I like how the lighter colored sections look like a circle when they are put together.  I made it mostly from stash.  The dark colored fabrics are mostly batiks and the lighter colors are not.  I will need to purchase fabric for backing.  I'll probably get it from the "sale" basement of my LQS.  

The backing is on my list for when I go to my LQS for my birthday shopping spree later this month!  The week of your birthday, they give you 25% off all regular priced items.  So, we smart shoppers, save up our punch cards from the shop, which are worth $25 of free merchandise per card (we get it punched for every dollar spent on regular priced items).  I have 2 punch cards finished, so that is $50 right there.  I also have some pennies saved up from a couple items I sold recently.  Can't wait!!



9 comments:

  1. Your pineapple quilt makes me think of the desert because of the colors.

    And you had me at cinnamon roll! I love that free motion pattern. I had never seen it before. Easy and evenly-spaced. Win-win in my book.

    Do you save up strings and go at it all at once or use them as you have them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The string quilt is so bright, it is sure to bring a smile to anyone! And I like that quilt motif...hmmm... The pineapple is gorgeous and does look like a labor of love. Have fun shopping! My LQS has a sale room, too, but she just raised feet price from $7 to $8. Still a pretty good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ruth! First, congratulations on these two gorgeous quilts. Love the new header picture too. The String-Rainbow quilt is awesome! It's calling my name I think. One more for the to-do list. Now the pineapple quilt is just gorgeous!! How big is the block and what's the size of the Hourglass in the middle, please? Happy bargain hunting at your LQS. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pineapple quilt top is stunning! Beautiful piecing and design. I'll be thinking of our favorite LQS while you shop, wishing I could be there too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both of these beautiful scrap creations, Ruth!
    I love to choose my backings from the clearance fabrics. Most of the time there is something that will work.
    My favorite shop also does a 25% of coupon for your birthday. I like to splurge on something I wouldn't normally feel free to purchase. We don't get punch cards, though. That makes it a really fun shopping spree for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finish. Beautiful with all those lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pineapple is fabulous - what a stunner! So much work but you have a super quilt to show for it. String looks amazing too. I haven't enough string yet to make one but I guess I could cut up fabric pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pineapple quilt is gorgeous and the strings quilt is so pretty, too. Love all the color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are so wonderful!!
    You are a smart shopper!

    ReplyDelete