Monday, February 18, 2019

BIRD QUILT GETTING QUILTED AND NEW WINDOW TREATMENT!

I posted about the bird quilt here and I've been working on it quite a bit.  I just finished quilting all 50 blocks.  First I stitched along the ditch of all the sashings to stabilize it.  The friend I'm doing this for provided me with polyester batting.  Below are 3 of the blocks showing how I quilted them.  I stitched around the birds and flowers and filled in the rest in a variety of ways.





My original plan was to quilt cross hatching in each block, but then I figured that it would be very difficult to turn the quilt in order to change direction.  It works great on a smaller project, but with a large bed quilt, I didn't think I could do it.  My plan is to to quilt feathers in the setting triangles.  I started that this morning and it's going pretty well - and quite fast!

Last week I finally finished the window treatment for my sewing room - a yo yo valance!  I didn't want a full curtain because it might block out some of the sunlight that the north window provides.


My other project was to straighten my fabric closet, which I did, but still have lots of smaller pieces to sort through.   That is an ongoing problem!!  Can anyone relate to that?

10 comments:

  1. Great progress on the bird quilt. Did you attached the yo-yos to a piece of fabric to make the valance? Very original.
    And yes, I can relate having lots of small pieces to sort through. It's related to dirty dishes; it's a never ending job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your yo-yo balance! I have an ugly browninsh-purple one that came with the house...perhaps I need to make some yo-yos? (But first, the challenge quilt...) The quilting on the birds is wonderful and compliments the stitching well. You've got one lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That yo-yo valance is just precious, and the State bird quilt is fantastic; your quilting on it is beautiful. What a treasure that one will be! Surely you aren't asking if I can relate to closet cleaning, are you? That's about all I've worked on all year so far, and I still have a long way to go!---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who can't relate to the issues of small leftover pieces? :)
    Your work on the bird quilt looks beautiful!
    That is a fun valance for your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new window treatment is perfect for a sewing room!!
    Love the embroidery and quilting! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is Beautiful! Your friend will love it. The go-to balance is so cute and perfect for your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your bird quilt! the quilting is just beautiful!
    fun yo yos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh! I typed my comment on my tablet and it said yo-yo valance when I hit send but darn technology! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bird quilt. Your new valance is so cute. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bird quiltmis progressing well. I like how the first block looks like the bird is eating a berry. Clever! What a terrific way to use yo-yos.

    ReplyDelete