Wednesday, March 25, 2015

FAITHFUL IS FINISHED!

How long ago did Lori have the Quilt-A-Long for Faithful?  I searched her blog and found out it was October, 2013.  So, it only took me about 1 1/2 years to get this done.  Woo Hoo!

25" square

I have a reason that it took me so long.  First of all, I used the basket block in the center and it is on point.  You can't really hang a quilt on point, so I had to add corners to Faithful.  I had to think about that for a while.  If I added corners, they had to have something in them.  It wouldn't look very good to put plain fabric there, so I thought it would look nice to have lighter fabrics fanning out.


Then, I thought they needed something else and decided to appliqué something on each corner.  So I had to find things to put in the corners.  I got out magazines and books to try to find something and the first thing I picked was the bird sitting on the star.  I love Kim Diehl's quilts and have 2 of her books, although I have never made any of the quilts in them.  I have used them for appliqué designs before though, so I used some of the flower appliqué designs and the bird from her Simple Blessings book.  I'm not sure where the circle and star came from - I know I saw it somewhere.

Backing toile fabric from Boersma's basement.
The last thing I needed was some flowers for the basket, so I took the easy way out and made yo yos for it.  Thanks, Lori, for the QAL!


I finished my stack of little quilts as well and the last 2 are below.  I am on a roll with stars.  I've got a stack of 31 solid stars (not scrappy, in other words) and 9 scrappy stars.  So, I see more little quilts in my future.

21 1/2" x 17 3/4"

17" s 14"
Happy Wednesday to all of you!

21 comments:

  1. Your "Faithful" quilt is stunning. I love everything about it. Your little quilts are so sweet as well. Love the starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Faithful quilt is very eye-catching. You made a very creative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it took 1 1/2 years to finish, but at least you were "Faithful" to finish it! And it is beautiful. Your other little projects are cute too, and make really good use of your scraps. Someone said we pay just as much for those scraps as we did for the fabric in the original project, and that is so true. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth your Faithful is beautiful. I love how you put it on point. Great finish. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I posted some little quilt finishes today too!
    Love that toile backing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing "Faithful"--and in grand style, too! (Mine is still a flimsy. Thanks for pointing out how long it has been. Ha ha) You really did a beautiful job, with so much detail to your corners.
    You know I LOVE the little quilts. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for 3 lovely quilts! It was worth taking the time to find just the right elements to finish up Faithful. It will look great on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ruth - Your Faithful quilt turned out SO nice! I love that you made it your own and incorporated parts from different patterns and designs. Spectacular! And the little quilts are delightful too. You've been BUSY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out fabulously!!! Worth all the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth, your vision for "Faithful" is absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faithful is gorgeous. Worth the time to have it turn out so great. Love the two other little quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faithful is a stunning quilt! Congrats on this gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. **Jumpy Clamps!** Faithful is beautiful and that backing fabric - gorgeous. You have no reason to justify how much time it has taken to finish this quilt. I always feel that quilts take as long as they take. It's an organic process not a mass-produced one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Faithful quilt is spectacular, as is all of your work.

    I still have some of that scottie fabric in one of the quilts - bought several years ago and used on a lot of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Faithful quilt is beautiful! I love all of the little extras you added, especially the applique. It adds so much. I really like the backing fabric, too. It is so special. Both of the other two quilts are so cute. I love the Scotties in the border. It is great to have some finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your little quilts are spectacular. I hope to make a quilt using Faithful. I have made one block so far, but really love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, in my opinion, Faithful was well worth the wait - it is just fantastic! All of your little quilts are - what an inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Faithful is just wonderful! The applique in the corners is the perfect touch and the Yo Yo flowers too! Love your other small quilts. Congratulations on your finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your little star quilt! You can't ever go wrong with stars in my book

    ReplyDelete
  20. You really did a great job of making this quilt along piece your own!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilt is so beautiful! You did a great job finishing it.
    What cute mini quilts. You are on a roll.

    ReplyDelete