Friday, May 31, 2019

MAY STRING REPORT

This month I started a new string project since I had finished a string quilt last month and donated it.  I had thought about making a spider quilt for quite a while and this seemed the perfect time to get one started.  I went to Bonnie Hunter's web site and scrolled down the free patterns page to Spider Quilt.  I followed her instructions and got started.  Below is my second batch of 20 triangles.  Each one is half a block and it takes 4 blocks to get a spider web.


Here is what I have done so far.  The first 6 blocks are sewn together on the top left and the 20 triangles are just placed on the design wall to see how it will look.  I have used up the solid brown fabric that I had and will next begin to use some other tans and brown pieces for the "kite" sections.


For Memorial Day, I hung up my E Pluribus Unum wall hanging that I made a couple years ago.  The center block is something that I picked up at a garage sale and I have 2 more of them.  I used bow tie blocks from a block exchange for the setting.  This is one of my favorite wall hangings.  The quilt rack was made by DS#3/DIL as a Christmas gift about 10 years ago and it is perfect for displaying quilts.  I like to have different wall hangings to display for different times of the year.  I want to make a fall quilt to hang on it next - one of these days!  It hangs just inside our front door and there is a vintage chair to the left with a doll quilt (from one of Lori's doll quilt exchanges) hanging on it.  Under the wall hanging you can see a little of some felted wool flowers (another garage sale purchase) sitting on a tea cart.


Thanks to those who made suggestions regarding the problem of my comments not posting.  I am still thinking about what to do about it - if there is anything that I can do.  I may try a couple suggestions to see if they will work.  

7 comments:

  1. The spiderweb quilt is coming along nicely and the mix of tans will give it some sparkle, I think. And I remember the patriotic panel - it looks good hanging there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spider web quilt is very pretty and scrappy, I love that. I really like the patriotic quilt, too. The bow ties are perfect for it, I love the scrappiness of it, too. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your Spider Quilt. I think a variety of tans/browns will be perfect but especially that you got to use up your entire stash of the original fabric! E Pluribus Unum is stunning, so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a super wall hanging. I really admire the pride Americans take in their nation and its emblems. Terrific progress on your string spider webs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those string blocks!!
    Your patriotic wallhanging tugs at my heart too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's my kinda quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete