Friday, September 19, 2014

A BREAK FROM ORGANIZING

Monday on my way to shop for groceries, I saw that the "Garage Sale Store" was open.  I had some good luck there a month ago or so and decided to check it out.  Right away, I spotted this book case for $55.  It looked really nice and I liked the doors on the bottom.  After texting a picture to DH and getting his approval, I bought it.  After getting it home, DH saw that it was made by Ethan Allen!  It is perfect for our living room.


I needed a break from "working" (aka unpacking and finding a home for each item in a box) so I decided to do some sewing and got most of this wall hanging put together.  It's "Over the River and Through the Woods" by Crab-apple Hill.  I just need to put on an inner border and then add the flying geese border and it can be basted!


I don't have my design wall put up yet, so it is on the floor.  Here's a little closer view.


We are pondering how to put up a quilt rack or something that I will be able to hang my larger wall hangings on.  It will have to be rather high up - we have a vaulted ceiling and it's an ideal place to hang a quilt.  I have about 4 large wall hangings and they will hang on the opposite wall from the "Colonial Glory" quilt (or whatever quilt is on that particular quilt rack).  They won't all be up at the same time, but I will switch them out seasonally.  In order to put a quilt on that wall, two people will have to climb up on ladders.  :-)  I wonder how quilt shops get their quilts up so high.

Yesterday I showed my next door neighbor my sewing room (she's the one who wants to learn to quilt).  She seemed to like it - or else she thinks I'm totally nuts!

13 comments:

  1. That bookshelf is so lovely! As is your wall hanging. I love embroidery mixed with piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say you got a steal on that beautiful bookcase.
    That is such a fun quilt. I admire their patterns, just don't have the patience to do all of the stitchery. You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful bargain with that lovely bookcase. It`s great to have closed in storage as well. I have a `Thimbleberries` quilt with similar effect.
    Happy Stitching

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a deal on the bookcase, really good furniture at a great price! You are so lucky you stopped. I love your Over the River quilt, it is so pretty. It is nice to take a break from the work once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find. And the new project is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a nice shelf, and by Ethan Allen yet! I'd say you made quite a steal; it's beautiful! I love your quilt too! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful book case! You got a good buy on that. I love your wall hanging! It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great buy on the book case. Looks great! I love that wall hanging. I've seen it made up in several different colorways and it always turns out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pattern and you've done such a beautiful job embroidering.

    Great buy on the book shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a find on the bookcase.
    LOve Over the River. Mine is in blues. Stalled out once I gotthe top done because I don't know how to quilt it.
    At our shop we climb the ladder to hang our quilt. Not sure how else you could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great furniture find!
    your stitchery piece is so nice with those warm colors.
    A neighbor friend already? great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful find...just lovely !

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great score on that bookcase/cabinet! It's gorgeous.
    Oh, to be settled again ...

    ReplyDelete