Sunday, October 2, 2011

Civil War Blocks and New Idea

This week's and last week's Civil War Blocks.  I'm all up to date!

Civil War Block #40, Order Number Eleven

Civil War Block #39, Hovering Hawks
 I saw this pincushion on someone's blog, but unfortunately, it got closed before I was able to save it.  I love ticking and have a button collection, was wondering how I could use this triangular button, so this was perfect!  I stuffed it with crushed walnut shells (I bought a bag several months ago and still have a bucket full).


I made a quilt from a panel and quilted it with cinnamon bun swirls.

 This is going to be a table runner

While I was reading blogs, I saw part of a quilt that the blogger was working on (again, I can't remember which blog - my bad) and found out it was in this book, Country Paths, by Jan Patek (which was on sale during September).  I have been looking for quite a while for a quilt with large applique and piecing in the more rustic style.

 This is the quilt that I fell in love with - Oak Leaves and Turkey Feathers.  The only draw back is the size of 78" x 78", which isn't large enough for a double bed.  I would probably want to make it at least queen size.
Oak Leaves and Turkey Feathers
Before I can start on this, I have at least three quilts (or more) to finish - or at least to the flimsy stage!  In the mean time, I can start looking through my stash to see if I have any fabric that I can use and what I might need to buy.

It was 52 degrees this morning!  Yea!!!

13 comments:

  1. I just love the ticking pin cushion. I will have to try that with some vintage linen I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt you want to make. The pincushion is great. A good way to use the buttons. I should think of that too. Too Many buttons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great batch of projects! I love the cinnamon bun quilted swirls - I'm going to have to remember that one! The Oak Leaves and Turkey Feathers is beautiful, but I hear you about it not being big enough. It would be wonderful on a bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pin cushion is so cute! Love the red and white. Jan Patek had the Turkey Feathers on her blog a couple of weeks ago and I remember another blogger talking about it, too. It is a beautiful quilt. Can we take bets on you starting this before you get all of your other projects finished? Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great CW blocks and pincushion.
    Love the quilting you did on the table runner - stunning!♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just amazed at your quilting on the pastel table runner, and the snowman swirls are great too! I simply must get those CW pics/patterns copied into a Word file for later. All of your blocks have been beautiful. The pin cushion is a cutie! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pincushion is adorable...I love little things like that that let you use something you really like;)
    I love the pumpkins on the cover of that book. And the quilt you have planned...very pretty;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those CW blocks look terrific! Cute pincushion - maybe a swap idea for next year? Jan Patek designs amazing quilts. Perhaps you can add some borders to bring it up to size. ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your CW blocks look great. I am getting anxious to see them all together. haha
    Your quilting looks amazing!!! Lots of fun projects you have been working on.
    Cute pincushion, the button is a great touch.
    Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute little pincushion and like the fabric you used for CW. The quilt pattern is nice, Maybe design another round to make it larger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are sew busy with so much goodness! I love the pin cushion and the big button is perfect!!
    Your projects are gorgeous, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great use of that kool button! Love all the projects you have in mind. Jan Patek did publish a book/magazine of patterns with quiltmania. If you go on their site, you can see some of the projects. It looks like a great book/magazine for that rustic style.
    Here is the link: http://www.quiltmania.com/english/navigation-entete-droite/boutique.html?type_produit=L
    Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Civil War blocks are wonderful. I love the use of such a variety of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete