Thursday, September 8, 2011

CATCHING UP

I'm still working on getting all the "stuff" from our trip put away.  Here are a few patterns that I bought at various quilt shops along the way.  This "June Bugs" pattern is so cute and the dragonfly caught my eye because my GD in OR loves them.


I got this little "Cash and Carry" purse pattern at Quilters Destination in Arlington Heights, IL where Beth works.  I made one of them for my sister while at her house, but didn't take a picture of it.

This pattern caught my eye at a quilt shop we visited in South Dakota (I think).  The larger dress is a kitchen towel that you can hang on the oven handle and the smaller dress is a vintage style clothespin bag.  

While on the trip I blogged about making blocks for the "Gone to Texas" quilt and I managed to get some of them put together.  I haven't ironed them after unpacking, but you can get some idea of what it will look like.  Lots of different fabrics in this!


This fabric was a garage sale purchase - 4 yards of this fabric from Africa cost me $1.00!  I thought maybe I could use it for a backing someday.  We'll see.  It's kind of wild!

I was anxious to finish quilting my basket quilt, but when I started working on it yesterday I was having problems with my sewing machine.  The stitches kept skipping when I went over a seam.  I cleaned it, changed the needle twice and it still skipped.  I was fit to be tied.  

I went to Leah Day's blog to see if I could find out what kind of sewing machine she uses.  She has a video of her explaining about her new Janome.  It looks wonderful and I think I would like to get one some day, however, what do I do right now?  As she was explaining, she said that she never lowers the feed dogs because the tension is better when they are not lowered.  So, this morning I set up my machine to quilt and left my feed dogs up.  I also used one of those Sew Slip sheets that is supposed to make it easier to move your quilt around (I usually don't use it because I didn't think it made much difference), and what do you know, it worked.  No more skipped stitches!!!  I am so relieved!  So, now I know what I will be doing for the next few days.

Thanks for visiting!  Happy September!  I love fall.


9 comments:

  1. Your Gone to Texas quilt is great. Busy, but beautiful! I love the African fabric and I'm sure you'll find a use for it. As for your machine - isn't it great when you solve something like that so easily? I'll be looking for that finished quilt soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Gone To Texas" quilt is a great scrappy quilt. Lots to look at.
    You have certainly traveled a lot since retiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lucky you!!! i love your african fabric garage sale fabric find!!! *drool* and only a dollar...why can't i find things like that!
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you and the fabric find....and all of those patterns are just awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patterns,fabric, a quilt top! What more could a girl ask for, LOL! Love everything but especially the Pearl Louise pattern!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so is a "Gone to Texas" in my future? First Civil War, and now this! You're having quite an influence on me! (But this will have to wait.) I do love yours, as well as the patterns, etc. The quilt rack in the first pattern also caught my eye! Wouldn't that be perfect in front of a fireplace during summer? (Of course, I don't have a fireplace, nor room for the rack either!) Glad to see you back in the swing of things! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gone to Texas quilt is beautiful. I can't wait to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of those Teflon sheets and swear by it. I also use a Janome. Gone to Texas is spectacular. Great patterns too. Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your little quilt pattern and I've been eyeing that cash and carry pattern for weeks. I'd love to see how they turn out. Your Gone to Texas quilt is stunning. I never would have picked it out myself, but I might be convinced after seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete