Sunday, October 13, 2019

CHRISTMAS QUILT FINISHED

 I finished the Christmas quilt that was made from a kit.  This is just about the first time that I didn't wash the fabric before sewing it together.  The fabric was cut into pieces, some of which were pretty small, but other were large.  I just started cutting it up without thinking too much about it.  Then, when I was pressing some blocks, it seemed like the red would stick to the iron and move over to the lighter color.  I was afraid it would bleed, so I tested some red and white together in water and it didn't bleed.

My first post about this was September 12.  I had the blocks done but not sewn together.  Last week I was reading Barb's blog and she was showing a finished quilt - just awesome - and showed how she washes it in her bath tub.  She had some bleeding and needed to fix that.  I have also read in other blogs that some quilters wash their quilt as soon as they finish it.  I rarely do that.  Now I'm wondering if that is something a lot of quilters do.

Anyway, I decided to wash this one in my tub because I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't bleed as I plan to sell it and my washing machine doesn't have a gentle cycle (well, it has it, but it certainly isn't very gentle).  I used 2 color catchers and some Dawn.  I soaked it for a couple hours and rinsed it a couple times, then put it in the washing machine to spin and dryer it in the clothes dryer.  It came out perfect!


Here' a close up of the appliquéd ornament in the center.


This is the backing fabric and you can see the quilting better.  I quilted it with a goldfish thread on top and bottom.  The backing fabric is dark green with light green and gold dotted lines.


Another project that will be for me is this wool appliqué wall hanging.  I really need to get it finished or I won't be able to use it this year.  All the pieces are stitched down by machine and I just need to do a little hand embroidery and find some more buttons to sew onto the backing on the sides.



My cousin from New York and her hubby is in town this weekend - her first time to visit Oregon!  We will be spending the day with them today and then they will be going to Newport, on the coast for a conference.  I rarely get to see her, so this is great!!

Please let me know if you wash your quilts as soon as you finish them - and why.  Do you wash the fabric before hand?

Here's a couple pictures of the beautiful fall trees in the area.



 I love fall!!


12 comments:

  1. Yeahhh - so many lovely projects. I especially LOVE that that little FALL wall hanging. And the colors of the trees? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Christmas quilt! I've always prewashed my fabrics, especially those I suspect will bleed and to avoid unwanted shrinkage after the fact. Except for mini quilts I also wash quilts right after their finish photoshoots, especially when I've had them outside for photos. There always seems to be dog hair and such on larger quilts by the time they're finished, and it just seems right to freshen them up before gifting, storing or putting them on the bed. The trees here are about at peak color this weekend, but those 26 degree mornings feel awfully cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a very beautiful quilt, Ruth. I love the combination of the two blocks. Your applique center is awesome. Congratulations! I too love fall and the change of colors. Come over to my blog and see what I have to "deal" with daily, lol. Enjoy the wonderful season. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas quilt is beautiful and the fall quilt is really cute. I don't wash my quilts right after quilting, but almost always wash the fabric first. I have heard too many stories of bleeding reds to chance all that work! But if it's a kit with cut pieces, that makes it harder due to shrinkage and ravelling possibilities. I'm glad yours turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never pre-wash fabrics. But, always machine wash a quilt once the binding is on it. I always use Shout for that wash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Christmas quilt is so pretty and the fabrics are wonderful. Glad the washing went well and no bleeding happened! I do wash some quilts after I finish them. Mostly charity quilts and ones for the Grands. That is so they get a clean fresh quilt with no batting fuzz left over. The quilts I make for myself a lot of times I don't wash them. Some I like with a nice smooth look, especially applique ones. Some pieced ones look better after washing when they crinkle. So it just depends what they will be used for. The FALL wall hanging is adorable, hope you get it finished in time to hang it up this year. Have fun with your cousin, visiting family is always fun! Those trees are beautiful! We don't see a lot of red here, mostly yellow ones. Enjoy your stitching time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your Christmas quilt. Very pretty. I do not prewash my fabrics. I do wash the quilt when the binding is finished as I usually use a spray baste and I want that out of there. Thanks for the fall photos. I miss those scenes here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Christmas quilt is beautiful! The trees are too! Your Fall quilt is really cute. Last Friday, we went from 91 down to 43 degrees Sat. AM, but it didn't last long. Of course, this is Texas! I've washed only one new quilt ever, and it was white with pastels; it came out just fine. I just wanted to see how it would crinkle, and it did fine. I always wash all fabric before cutting. I need to try washing a quit to see what happens. I too worry about red! I always use Shout Color Catchers if there's any color at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Christmas finish--glad it didn't bleed.
    I never used to wash my quilts--I still don't wash the hand quilted ones. But quilts that are meant to see regular, and heavy use get washed before they are gifted. I think it was Lori D. who told me she always washes a quilt before gifting it because she doesn't want the recipient to think they have ruined it after they wash it, since it won't come out looking the same after a wash. That made me laugh, but it also made sense. Also, I rarely prewash fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finishing your Christmas quilt! What a beautiful photo on the header and the other fall color photos.
    charming runner wool for fall seems perfect together

    ReplyDelete